Wednesday, April 11, 2007

To Start With

I thought it about time I started to keep a record of my life as it happened. Some may find this boring or some may find it interesting.

2 weeks ago I got a knock on the door of my flat. The knocker was my old friend Arthur Johnson who I have known for over 20 years or so. Would I like him to put my name down as a candidate for the Town Council at the upcoming elections? Well, I must admit I hadn't really thought this much in recent months - or at least since the last time Arthur had mentioned it to me which must have been a year or so before. Ok, I said, go on then and lets see what develops.

I have always been interested in local issues, especially the devils who allow their canine friends to foul Stroud Green which my flat overlooks, the other devils who place graffiti all over the town, a better place for my daughters to grow up and live in, etc., etc.

The next thing I know I am meeting David Rendell - someone I have had great regard and respect for over the years I have been in living in Newbury - and then having to meet a couple of eminent local Lib Dems the next evening. Mind you, I think what really swung it for me was, when questioned about the reasons why I would like to be considered as a candidate, I told them I hated the Tories and what they had done to West Berkshire in the short time they had been in power!

Since then I have been out canvassing a couple of times with Paul Walter and Roger Hunneman and others and I have to admit it, I rather enjoy doing this. A bit knackering after a day at work and also before my evening dinner, but quite rewarding.

1 comment:

Paul Walter said...

Welcome to the blogsphere, Ifor!